22 June. 2020
Marie Sklodowska-Curie Individual Fellowships (2020 Call) at RISE CoE
Call for Expression of Interest
The Research Centre on Interactive Media Smart Systems and Emerging Technologies - RISE Ltd
welcomes Expressions of Interest (EoI) from talented and ambitious post-doctoral international candidates, to apply jointly with a RISE CoE supervisor, to the European Commission’s 2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual European Fellowship Scheme
commencing in September 2020.
About RISE CoE
The RISE Centre of Excellence (CoE) has been set up through the prestigious H2020 Teaming Grant and it is a joint venture between the three public universities of Cyprus (University of Cyprus, Cyprus University of Technology, Open University of Cyprus), the Municipality of Nicosia, and two renowned international partners, the Max Planck Institute for Informatics (Germany) and University College London (UK). Located in the Centre of the Nicosia, Cyprus’ capital city, RISE CoE is designed to act as an integrator of academic research and innovation, towards the sustainable fueling of scientific, technological and economic growth of Cyprus and Europe, empowering knowledge and technology transfer in the region.
What MSCA-IF Fellowships entail?
The purpose of the MSCA-IF scheme is to support researchers’ career path through mobility, while attracting talented researchers to the EU. Applicants must be researchers with either a PhD or 4 years relevant research experience, moving to an institution in another country (the “host country”), where they work with a designated supervisor to deliver a specific research and training project. Both Supervisor and Fellow should collaborate on the application.
Applicants can be of any nationality, but must not have spent more than 12 months in Cyprus in the last 36 months prior to the EC call deadline (09/09/2020)
Candidates are expected to be experienced researchers with a strong CV relative to their career stage and be able to demonstrate their high potential, looking to give their career a boost by working abroad. The Individual Fellowships (IF) are a great option to find exciting new learning opportunities and a chance to enhance their career development.
What the Funding Covers
The grant provides an allowance to cover living, travel and family costs. In addition, the EU contributes to the training, networking and research costs of the fellow, as well as to the management and indirect costs of the project.
By applying for an MSCA-IF at RISE CoE, you will have the opportunity to carry out high level research at a wide range of exciting topics in the fields of:
- Communication & Artificial Intelligence
- Human Factors & Design
- Visual Sciences.
By applying with us you can work with one of the Sixteen Research Groups
housed at RISE CoE
in one of the following research topics:
- Virtual Reality and mobile applications for cognitive training and clinical interventions.
- Multimodal interaction and learning, emerging technologies for learning and entertainment.
- Exploration of interactive technologies and smart environment solutions for museums and heritage sites.
- Computer graphics, animation, and simulation of virtual humans and of 3D built environments.
- Biometrics, Computer Vision, Machine Learning.
- Computer Networks, Protocols for IoT and Multimedia Communications, 5G Technologies, Security, Edge/Fog and Mobile Cloud Computing, and Smart City Applications.
- Smart, Ubiquitous and Participatory Technologies for Healthcare Innovation.
- Machine learning, computational learning theory, natural language processing and generation, AI.
- Algorithmic accountability and transparency.
- Virtual Reality for well-being.
- Next generation of the image/video processing pipeline.
- Computer vision applications and use of deep learning for deploying smarter digital cameras.
- Computational intelligence and emerging technologies such as Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR).
- Simulations and analysis of life in virtual worlds.
- Learning Agents and Robots, reinforcement learning, deep learning, multiagent systems and computational intelligence methods.
- Visual Computing.
By working at RISE CoE
you will be able to utilize the prestigious partners of RISE CoE including the Max Planck Institute of Informatics (MPI), the University College London, the University of Cyprus (UCY), the Cyprus University of Technology (CUT) and the Open University of Cyprus (OUC). The partnership of RISE with the Municipality of Nicosia provides the opportunity to implement your research in a real-life environment of a thriving business, cultural and social city centre.
At RISE CoE
you will have access to State-of-the-art facilities and equipment and a fully functional makerspace providing you the opportunity to transform, share, test and perfect your ideas. Additionally, you will be supported in every step of the way by our experienced Research and Innovation Officers.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit an application to the centre's Research Office, (firstname.lastname@example.org
) by 6th July 2020
Your application documents must include:
- A copy of your CV, including a full list of publications (max. 3 pages)
- 2 page outline of your research proposal
- Name of a potential Research Group (s) or specific mentor for the project from within the CoE. If more than one Research Groups is of interest list them in priority order. RISE CoE Research Groups can be found here.
Expressions of interest will be evaluated on the quality of the research idea and selected candidates will be invited to make a formal application to the scheme with their selected supervisor(s).
Applicants are advised to study the Individual Fellowship Guide for Applicants
and Call Text
before they apply.