Preferred Start Date: 1st September or as soon thereafter.
CYENS Centre of Excellence (formerly known as RISE) is the Research Centre of Excellence in Cyprus focusing on Interactive media, Smart systems and Emerging technologies aiming to empower knowledge and technology transfer in the region. It is a joint venture between the three public universities of Cyprus - University of Cyprus, Cyprus University of Technology, and, Open University of Cyprus, the Municipality of Nicosia, and two renowned international partners, the Max Planck Institute for Informatics, Germany, and, the University College London, United Kingdom. This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme H2020-WIDESPREAD-01-2016-2017 (Teaming Phase 2) under grant agreement No. 739578, as well as from the Cypriot Government, local and international partners, and other sponsors.
The Centre conducts excellent, internationally competitive scientific research in the areas of visual sciences, human factors and design, communication, and artificial intelligence delivered by high-calibre multidisciplinary research teams. CYENS engages in knowledge transfer and innovation activities aiming to bridge the gap between scientific research and STEM-led innovation and entrepreneurship.
The research focus of CYENS is on interactive media, smart systems, and emerging technologies. Interactive media have become an integral part of our lives, changing the way that information is conveyed to the user and the ways users interact with devices, with other people, and with the world around them. Smart systems have offered a novel way of producing automated solutions to hard problems for which the mere use of the human intellect is insufficient. Research in CYENS integrates the Visual Sciences, Human Factors & Design, and Communications & Artificial Intelligence, in a tight synergy that provides a unique interdisciplinary research perspective that emphasizes an “Inspired by Humans, Designed for Humans” philosophy. CYENS is designed to act as an integrator of academic research and industrial innovation, towards the sustainable fuelling of the scientific, technological, and economic growth of Cyprus and Europe.
The successful candidate will be involved in new and ongoing research projects that involve the development of novel computer vision algorithms that utilize state of the art machine learning algorithms. As part of the duties the successful candidate will carry out research-related activities that include literature reviews, algorithm development and evaluation, scientific paper authoring, research dissemination activities (i.e. presentations at conferences), and research proposal preparation.
BIO-SCENT MRG research focus is on developing novel and applied techniques driven by the need to improve the quality of life of humans. Within this scope, research in this group focus on developing techniques that aim to: Protect humans by offering novel ways to create safe environments both in physical and cyber spaces and allow humans to adapt in a better way to their environment by safeguarding their physical and mental safety, improving their productivity and enhancing their overall experience. The aforementioned topics are addressed through research and development in the areas of Biometrics, Computer Vision, Machine Learning and their combination with emerging technologies such as mobile computing, ubiquitous computing, virtual and mixed reality.
The successful candidate will work under the supervision of the Biometrics for Smart Human-centered Emerging Technologies (BIO-SCENT) MRG Leader, Dr Andreas Lanitis.
Responsibilities of the Computer Vision/Machine Learning Research Associate:
- Carry out research in the area of Computer Vision/Machine Learning
- Participation in currently active research projects in the MRG
- Development of new algorithms, that includes implementation, data gathering, testing, and demonstration.
- Preparation/presentation of research papers
- Preparation/Submission of research proposals
- Participation in innovation activities related to the exploitation of research outputs
General qualifications and requirements:
- Bachelor's degree and postgraduate degree in a relevant field (Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Data Science, Multimedia) from an accredited institution.
- Ph.D in a relevant field (e.g. Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Data Science, Computer Vision, Machine Learning, Multimedia) from an accredited institution will be considered an advantage.
- Strong computer programming skills (e.g. Python, Matlab, C/C++).
- Prior experience with Machine Learning/Use of Deep Learning Libraries (e.g. Tensorflow, Pytorch etc.).
- Prior experience in a research position will be considered an advantage.
- Research publications will be considered an advantage.
- Experience with proposal writing will be considered an advantage.
- Prior experience in innovation and or applied research activities will be considered an advantage.
- Previous grant-writing experience will be considered an advantage.
- Computer literate.
- Language requirements: Excellent written and oral English-language skills will be required.
- a. Very good knowledge of English, especially in reading technical / research articles.
- For non-EU applicants a work permit will be required.
Profile of the ideal candidate – select relevant qualities required for specific role:
- Ability to independently identify problems and carry out research work within the scope of the MRG.
- Ability to interact with stakeholders in application domains and identify opportunities for collaboration.
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Strong organizational, communication, presentation, and negotiation skills, having the ability to deal confidently and politely with enquiries.
- Very good analytical skills coupled with attention to detail.
- Dynamic, adaptable, hands-on and results driven.
- A team player with an ability to work independently and under pressure.
- High levels of commitment, energy, and drive.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Take advantage of this opportunity for your professional and personal development by being a part of our fast- growing Research Technology Development and Innovation Centre of Excellence. A very attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate according to qualifications and experience.
For full consideration, interested applicants should submit the following items via the online application form and mention the position you are applying for: “Application for BIO-SCENT Research Associate”:
- A cover letter which clearly specifies 1) contact details, 2) employment availability date, 3) rationale on why you think you would be a good fit for the position.
- A detailed curriculum vitae in English.
- Copies of academic degrees and transcripts BSc/MSc/PhD degree(s).
- Description of academic and research experiences as well as any plans for a research project related to the theme of the MRG (500 words maximum).
- Contact details of two referees, wither two University professors or one University professor and one industry referee
In case you previously applied for a post at CYENS CoE, a new application is required.
For general enquiries, applicants may contact the HR Department of CYENS, Centre of Excellence at firstname.lastname@example.org .
CYENS Centre of Excellence is an equal opportunity employer and the position is open to everyone, internationally.
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.
Deadline: 01 January. 2022
Location: Nicosia, Cyprus.
Type: Full-time or Part Time employment. An initial six-month employment contract will be offered with the possibility for renewal depending on performance and project needs.