Position: Two research positions (full-time or part-time) for “Neo-Move” Research Group at CYENS - Centre of Excellence
- 1st position: Early-stage Researcher position (with or without master’s degree)
- 2nd position: Experienced (post-doctoral) Researcher position
An initial one-year employment contract will be offered with the possibility for renewal depending on performance and project needs
Preferred Start Date:
As soon thereafter
of September 2022
Responsibilities of Researchers:
CYENS - Centre of Excellence is a Research Centre of Excellence in Cyprus focusing on Interactive media, Smart systems, and Emerging technologies aiming to empower knowledge and technology transfer in the region. It is a joint venture between the three public universities of Cyprus - University of Cyprus, Cyprus University of Technology, and, Open University of Cyprus - the Municipality of Nicosia, and two renowned international partners, the Max Planck Institute for Informatics, Germany, and, the University College London, United Kingdom. This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation program H2020-WIDESPREAD-01-2016-2017 (Teaming Phase 2) under grant agreement No. 739578, as well as from the Cypriot Government, local and international partners, and other sponsors.
The research focus of CYENS is on interactive media, smart systems, and emerging technologies. Interactive media have become an integral part of our lives, changing the way that information is conveyed to the user and the ways users interact with devices, with other people, and with the world around them. Smart systems have offered a novel way of producing automated solutions to hard problems for which the mere use of the human intellect is insufficient. Research in CYENS integrates the Visual Sciences, Human Factors & Design, and Communications & Artificial Intelligence, in a tight synergy that provides a unique interdisciplinary research perspective that emphasizes an “Inspired by Humans, Designed for Humans” philosophy. CYENS is designed to act as an integrator of academic research and industrial innovation, towards the sustainable fueling of the scientific, technological, and economic growth of Cyprus and Europe.
The newly established Neo-Move research group (Neuro-cognitive Management of Occupational Movement Disorders) deals with neurocognitive research and the development of tools for the prevention, diagnosis, and rehabilitation of primary and secondary movement disorders. Special attention is given to work-related neurological, musculoskeletal, and psychological conditions appearing mainly in athletes, musicians, dancers, etc. The group aims to enhance our understanding of the neuro-cognitive mechanism behind motor dysfunctions, through the combined use of electrophysiology and extended reality technologies. The Neo-Move group already participates in several national and international projects and collaborates closely with national and international institutions and clinics.
The successful candidates will have the opportunity to conduct fundamental and/or applied research in the aforementioned areas (design of experimental protocols, data collection, data analysis, tools development, etc.). The position holders will also participate in the preparation of research proposals for funding, project reports and deliverables, and travel abroad for dissemination activities. Furthermore, successful candidates will be encouraged to publish/present their research results in prestigious international conferences and journals and contribute to the research centre’s key performance indicators. Finally, the selected candidates are encouraged to introduce and develop their own research projects.
The successful candidates will work under the supervision of Dr. Christos Ioannou (leader of Neo-Move group). Candidates who would like to search for funding opportunities such as Marie S. Curie Individual fellowships or any other funding opportunities are also welcome to apply.
General qualifications and requirements
Qualifications (for the Early-stage Researcher position a bachelor's and/or a master’s degree is required whereas for the Experienced Researcher position a Ph.D. is required):
- Contribute to the development of experimental concepts, protocols, and procedures with their expertise.
- Support the acquisition of physiological, motion capture, and other related data, including the use of psychometric tools, self-report measures, rating scales, etc.
- Contribute to collaborative decision-making, demonstrate initiative, and be proactive within their domain of responsibility. Maintain collaborations while participating in internal and external networks for the exchange of information.
- Participate in the preparation of manuscripts and presentations.
- Disseminate research findings.
- Be a team player and work effectively with colleagues on joint projects and attend and contribute to relevant meetings.
- Work independently and flexibly in planning day-to-day activities per project deadlines.
- Develop new skills and methodologies as needed.
- Undertake any other duties which may be required based on the needs of the projects.
- Follow Group Leader’s decisions/directives and requirements as instructed.
- Assist in the training of new researchers upon request by the Group Leader.
- Attend technical and non-technical training courses and workshops as required.
For both positions (Early-stage / Experienced Researcher positions) any previous experience or skills in any of the following categories would be considered an advantage:
- University Degree(s) in:
- Neuroscience, Psychology, Movement Science, Physiotherapy, Medicine, or any related field, or
- Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, Engineering, Multimedia, or any related field
- Excellent written and oral English-language skills are required. Knowledge of additional languages will be considered an advantage.
- For non-EU applicants, a work permit is required.
For the Experienced (post-doctoral) Researcher position any additional experience or qualifications in any of the following categories would be considered an advantage:
- Neurophysiology, Neuroscience methods (EEG, EMG, tDCS, ECG, TMS, MRI, ultrasound, etc.).
- Empirical research and data collection in experimental settings.
- Statistics and Signal analysis.
- Development using Unity or Unreal Engine.
- Data management / Data analysis skills of behavioral and neuroimaging data.
- Programming Knowledge.
Profile of the ideal candidate:
- High-impact research publications on relevant topics.
- Previous grant-writing experience.
- Students’ supervision.
- Able to develop and conduct their own research.
- Ability to independently identify problems and carry out research work within the scope of the Neo-Move group.
- Relevant industrial / innovation / entrepreneurship experience.
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative and work independently.
- A team player with an ability to work independently.
- Strong organizational, communication and presentation skills, having the ability to deal confidently and politely with inquiries.
- Ability to interact with with relevant partners/stakeholders and identify further opportunities for collaboration.
- Very good analytical skills coupled with attention to detail.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Dynamic, adaptable, hands-on, and results-driven.
- High levels of commitment, energy, and drive.
Take advantage of this opportunity for your professional and personal development by being part of our fast-growing Research and Innovation Centre of Excellence. A very attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate according to qualifications and experience. The salary ranges according to qualifications and experience:
- from 1400 – 1800 euro (gross) for the Early-stage Researcher position
- from 2250 – 2500 euro (gross) for the Experienced (post-doctoral) Researcher position.
For full consideration, interested applicants should select via the online application form
the position you are applying for “Early-stage and Experienced (post-doctoral) Researchers – Neo-Move
”, and submit (upload) the following items:
- A cover letter that clearly specifies 1) contact details, 2) employment availability date, 3) part-time or full-time availability, 3) Early-stage or Experienced Researcher position
- A detailed curriculum vitae in English.
- Copies of academic transcripts
- Description of academic and research experience as well as any relevant industrial/innovation/ entrepreneurship experience, where applicable (500 words maximum).
- Contact details of two university professors or one university professor and one industry referee who will provide reference letters. (only for the Experienced Researcher position)
- Two (2) representative publications (if applicable).
In case you previously applied for a post at CYENS – Centre of Excellence, a new application is required.
For general inquiries, applicants may contact the HR Department of CYENS – Centre of Excellence at email@example.com
CYENS – Centre of Excellence is an equal opportunity employer and the position is open to everyone, internationally.
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.
Location: Nicosia, Cyprus
Type: An initial one-year employment contract will be offered with the possibility for renewal depending on performance and project needs