Preferred Start Date: June 2022 or as soon thereafter.
Application Deadline: Remain open until the positions are filled
CYENS Centre of Excellence (formerly known as RISE) is the Research Centre of Excellence in Cyprus focusing on Interactive media, Smart systems and Emerging technologies aiming to empower knowledge and technology transfer in the region. It is a joint venture between the three public universities of Cyprus - University of Cyprus, Cyprus University of Technology, and Open University of Cyprus, the Municipality of Nicosia, and two renowned international partners, the Max Planck Institute for Informatics, Germany, and, the University College London, United Kingdom. This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme H2020-WIDESPREAD-01-2016-2017 (Teaming Phase 2) under grant agreement No. 739578, as well as from the Cypriot Government, local and international partners, and other sponsors.
The Centre conducts excellent, internationally competitive scientific research in the areas of visual sciences, human factors and design, communication, and artificial intelligence delivered by high-calibre multidisciplinary research teams. CYENS engages in knowledge transfer and innovation activities aiming to bridge the gap between scientific research and STEM-led innovation and entrepreneurship.
The research focus of CYENS is on interactive media, smart systems, and emerging technologies. Interactive media have become an integral part of our lives, changing the way that information is conveyed to the user and the ways users interact with devices, with other people, and with the world around them. Smart systems have offered a novel way of producing automated solutions to hard problems for which the mere use of the human intellect is insufficient. Research in CYENS integrates the Visual Sciences, Human Factors & Design, and Communications & Artificial Intelligence, in a tight synergy that provides a unique interdisciplinary research perspective that emphasizes an “Inspired by Humans, Designed for Humans” philosophy. CYENS is designed to act as an integrator of academic research and industrial innovation, towards the sustainable fueling of the scientific, technological, and economic growth of Cyprus and Europe.
The primary focus of the role is to support the development of a set of web interactive tools that will be used for both research and training purposes on exploring different explainable user interfaces. The successful candidate will have the experience in working with different web development tools and environments and be able to select the methods of work that best suit the project.
The successful candidate will collaborate with other researchers in the group, such as the interaction designer, who will be designing the prototypes and others involved in the project. The successful candidate will work under the supervision of Team Leader Dr. Styliani Kleanthous.
Duties and areas of responsibility:
General qualifications and requirements
- Collaborate with other team members, providing full stack web development support
- Support the projects proposed by the Team Leader or other members of the group
- Ensure the quality of the developed tools
- Produce user manuals and documentations of the tools he/she develops.
- Contribute to the research studies performed by the group
- Contribute to the research articles developed across the group
The following will be considered an advantage:
- University Degree, Bachelor's degree and postgraduate degree in Computer Science, Information Science, Web Development, or a related field.
- Analytical and detail-oriented
- Experience with responsive and adaptive design
- Good problem-solving skills
- Excellent knowledge of both spoken and written English language
- PhD will be considered an advantage.
- Experience with cloud-based development would definitely be considered as an advantage
- Knowledge on algorithmic fairness, transparency, and ethics (FATE/FAccT)
For non-EU applicants a work permit will be required
Take advantage of this opportunity for your professional and personal development by being a part of our fast- growing Research and Innovation Centre of Excellence. A very attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate according to qualifications and experience.
For full consideration, interested applicants should submit the following items via the online application form and mention the position you are applying for: “Application (fAIre) Full Stack Web Developer”:
- A cover letter which clearly specifies 1) contact details, 2) employment availability date, 3) part-time or full-time availability 4) referee contact details.
- A detailed curriculum vitae in English.
In case you previously applied for a post at CYENS CoE, a new application is required.
For general enquiries, applicants may contact the HR Department of CYENS, Centre of Excellence at firstname.lastname@example.org
CYENS Centre of Excellence is an equal opportunity employer and the position is open to everyone, internationally.
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.
Location: CYENS Center of Excellence, Nicosia, Cyprus.
Type: An initial one-year employment contract will be offered with the possibility for renewal depending on performance and project needs