Position: Research Assistant
Category: An initial one-year employment contract will be offered with the possibility for renewal depending on performance.
Location: Nicosia, Cyprus
Preferred Start Date: March 2023 or as soon thereafter
Application Deadline: Remain open until the position is filled
No. of positions: 2
About the position
The Smart Networked Systems Research Group conducts research in Computer and Communication technologies, networks and protocols. Following the successful award of two multi-year Research and Innovation projects from the Horizon Europe program, SNS is seeking a Research Assistant to join its fast-growing team of passionate and enthusiastic researchers and ICT professionals.
The job holder will be part of the iNicosia flagship project and the iotshield.ai innovation project. The successful candidate will work under the supervision of the Smart Network Systems Research Group Leader, Prof Vasos Vasiliou.
Desired Qualifications & Requirements
- The successful candidates will have the opportunity to conduct fundamental or applied research in the areas described below.
- Work with the SNS research team to design and implement solutions in the context of the current research projects
- Participate in internal and external technical workshops and project meetings
- Build proof-of-concepts and prototypes to demonstrate the validity of proposed research and designed solutions.
- Depending on their qualifications and expertise, successful candidates will be responsible to prepare reports and project deliverables, contribute to the preparation of research proposals
- Furthermore, successful candidates will be encouraged to publish their research results in high quality international conferences and journals.
- Postgraduate degree (M.Sc., PhD) in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering or Mathematics or a related field from an accredited institution.
- Previous research experience will be considered an advantage.
The required skills and expertise (research or professional) for the sought-out researchers include one or more of the following areas:
- Network Protocols – especially protocols related to IoT and Multimedia Communications
- Mobile and Wireless Networks – e.g., Local and Low Power mobile and wireless network technologies, or Next Generation cellular networks and technologies (5G, NB-IoT)
- Security – Security of networks and systems, fault tolerance and reliability
- Edge, Fog and Mobile Cloud Computing
- Smart City Applications – Smart Energy, Smart Transportation, Smart Lighting, Smart Parking
- Experimentation and Testbed Setup – e.g., conducting lab experiments, designing, executing, and maintaining laboratory testbeds, analysing questionnaires, evaluating input of end users.
Profile of the ideal candidate:
- Motivated candidates with strong mathematical and/or algorithm development backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For non-EU applicants a work permit will be required
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Strong organizational, communication, presentation, and negotiation skills, having the ability to deal confidently and politely with enquiries.
- Very good analytical skills coupled with attention to detail.
- Dynamic, adaptable, hands-on and results driven.
- A team player with an ability to work independently and under pressure.
- High levels of commitment, energy, and drive.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Take advantage of this opportunity for your professional and personal development by being a part of our fast- growing Research and Innovation Centre of Excellence. A very attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate according to qualifications and experience.
For full consideration, interested applicants should submit the following items via “Application for Research Assistant -SNS MRG”:
Process for Research Associates:
- Full CV (including contact details).
- Cover letter which clearly states: (a) how you envision your role, (b) how your experience and qualifications match the specific position, and (c) the availability date for full-time employment (d) contact details of two referees.
In case you previously applied for a post at CYENS CoE, a new application is required.
About CYENS CoE
Centre of Excellence is focusing on Interactive media, Smart systems and Emerging technologies aiming to empower knowledge and technology transfer in Cyprus and wider region. It is a joint venture between the three public universities of Cyprus: the University of Cyprus, the Cyprus University of Technology, and the Open University of Cyprus, the Municipality of Nicosia, and two renowned international partners, the Max Planck Institute for Informatics, Germany, and, the University College London, United Kingdom. This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020
research and innovation programme H2020-WIDESPREAD-01-2016-2017 (Teaming Phase 2) under grant agreement No. 739578, as well as from the Cypriot Government, local and international partners, and other sponsors.
Research in CYENS integrates the Visual Sciences, Human Factors & Design, and Communications & Artificial Intelligence, in a tight synergy that provides a unique interdisciplinary research perspective that emphasizes an “Inspired by Humans, Designed for Humans” philosophy. The Centre conducts excellent, internationally competitive scientific research delivered by 18 high-caliber multidisciplinary research teams. CYENS engages in knowledge transfer and innovation activities aiming to act as an integrator of academic research and industrial innovation, towards the sustainable fueling of the scientific, technological, and economic growth of Cyprus and Europe.
CYENS Centre of Excellence is an equal opportunity employer and the position is open to everyone, internationally.
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.
Location: Nicosia, Cyprus
Type: An initial one-year employment contract will be offered with the possibility for renewal depending on performance.