Position: Research Associate for DeepCamera MRG
Category: An initial one-year employment contract will be offered, with the possibility for renewal, includes a very attractive remuneration package according to qualifications and experience.
Location: Nicosia, Cyprus
Application Deadline: Remain open until the positions are filled
No. Of Positions: 1
About the position
The DeepCamera MRG is working on innovative, efficient and resilient deep-learning based imaging/video and computer vision pipeline/applications tackling the existing drawbacks in all the pipeline stages, e.g., acquisition, encoding/decoding, manipulation/visualization and evaluation. This include but not limited topics such as image/video enhancement, environmental and adversarial noise removal, super resolution, spatial/temporal upsampling; all aspects of image/video encoding/decoding standards, visual perception (including color), color correction and management, image/video translation, high dynamic range imaging/video; computer vision applications, i.e., monitoring, tracking, identification, classification, segmentation, deepfake; image/video quality evaluation, i.e., objective and subjective, supporting tools for deep learning developers etc. the outcome of the research will tackle applications such as smart cities, mobile phone, smart devices, head mounted and traditional display technologies, high quality video streaming, technology evaluation, automotive, security, entertainment, agriculture and industry 4.0, first responder etc.
We are looking for an enthusiast researcher/practitioner/developer with expertise in the aforementioned areas. The successful candidates will undertake the investigation for the improvement of all the aspects of the modern imaging/video pipeline as well as its applications, investigation of innovative computer vision applications to solve real-world problems.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to conduct applied research in the aforementioned areas. The position holder will also participate in the preparation of research proposals for funding, project reports and deliverables, and travel abroad for dissemination activities. Furthermore, position holders should publish/present their research results in prestigious international conferences and journals and contribute to the research centre’s key performance indicators.
The successful candidate will work under the supervision of the Team Leader of the DeepCamera MRG Dr Alessandro Artusi.
Responsibilities of Research Associate:
General qualifications and requirements
- Investigation for the for the improvement of all the aspects of the modern imaging/video pipeline
- Investigation of innovative computer vision applications to solve real-world problems
- Conduct applied research
- Participation in the preparation of research proposals for funding, project reports and deliverables
- PhD/MSc/BSc degree in a relevant field (e.g. Computer Science, Information Technology, Computer Engineering, Color Science, Image Processing, Computer Vision, Computer Graphics) from an accredited institution
- Strong computer programming skills (e.g. C/C++, Python, Matlab)
- Knowledge of Deep-learning and usage of the existing Deep-learning environments (e.g. Keras, Tensorflow, Pytorch etc.)
- High-impact research publications on relevant topics
- Previous grant-writing experience is considered an advantage
- Previous relevant industrial experience in deploying sw products will be considered an advantage
- Language requirements: Excellent written and oral English-language skills will be required.
For non-EU applicants a work permit will be required
Profile of the ideal candidate
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Strong organizational, communication, presentation, and negotiation skills, having the ability to deal confidently and politely with enquiries.
- Very good analytical skills coupled with attention to detail.
- Dynamic, adaptable, hands-on and results driven.
- A team player with an ability to work independently and under pressure.
- High levels of commitment, energy, and drive.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Take advantage of this opportunity for your professional and personal development by being a part of our fast- growing Research and Innovation Centre of Excellence. A very attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate according to qualifications and experience.
For full consideration, interested applicants should submit the following items via the online “Application: Research Associate(s) for DeepCamera MRG”:
Process for Research Associates:
- A cover letter which clearly specifies (i) employment availability date and (ii) rationale on why you think you would be a good fit for the position within the DeepCamera MRG
- Description of their academic and research experiences as well as any relevant industrial experience where applicable (500 words maximum)
- A detailed CV
- Copies of degree certificates
- Contact details of two referees, either two University professors or one University professor and one industry referee.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
In case you previously applied for a post at CYENS CoE, a new application is required.
For general enquiries, applicants may contact the HR Department of CYENS, Centre of Excellence at firstname.lastname@example.org
About CYENS CoE
Centre of Excellence is focusing on Interactive media, Smart systems and Emerging technologies aiming to empower knowledge and technology transfer in Cyprus and wider region. It is a joint venture between the three public universities of Cyprus: the University of Cyprus, the Cyprus University of Technology, and the Open University of Cyprus, the Municipality of Nicosia, and two renowned international partners, the Max Planck Institute for Informatics, Germany, and, the University College London, United Kingdom. This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020
research and innovation programme H2020-WIDESPREAD-01-2016-2017 (Teaming Phase 2) under grant agreement No. 739578, as well as from the Cypriot Government, local and international partners, and other sponsors.
Research in CYENS integrates the Visual Sciences, Human Factors & Design, and Communications & Artificial Intelligence, in a tight synergy that provides a unique interdisciplinary research perspective that emphasizes an “Inspired by Humans, Designed for Humans” philosophy. The Centre conducts excellent, internationally competitive scientific research delivered by 18 high-caliber multidisciplinary research teams. CYENS engages in knowledge transfer and innovation activities aiming to act as an integrator of academic research and industrial innovation, towards the sustainable fueling of the scientific, technological, and economic growth of Cyprus and Europe.
CYENS Centre of Excellence is an equal opportunity employer and the position is open to everyone, internationally.
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.
Location: Nicosia, Cyprus
Type: An initial one-year employment contract will be offered, with the possibility for renewal, includes a very attractive remuneration package according to qualifications and experience.