Preferred Start Date: 1 June 2022 or as soon thereafter.
Application Deadline: Remain open until the positions are filled (relevant to Research Associates)
CYENS Centre of Excellence (formerly known as RISE) is the Research Centre of Excellence in Cyprus focusing on Interactive media, Smart systems and Emerging technologies aiming to empower knowledge and technology transfer in the region. It is a joint venture between the three public universities of Cyprus - University of Cyprus, Cyprus University of Technology, and Open University of Cyprus, the Municipality of Nicosia, and two renowned international partners, the Max Planck Institute for Informatics, Germany, and, the University College London, United Kingdom. This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme H2020-WIDESPREAD-01-2016-2017 (Teaming Phase 2) under grant agreement No. 739578, as well as from the Cypriot Government, local and international partners, and other sponsors.
The Centre conducts excellent, internationally competitive scientific research in the areas of visual sciences, human factors and design, communication, and artificial intelligence delivered by high-calibre multidisciplinary research teams. CYENS engages in knowledge transfer and innovation activities aiming to bridge the gap between scientific research and STEM-led innovation and entrepreneurship.
The research focus of CYENS is on interactive media, smart systems, and emerging technologies. Interactive media have become an integral part of our lives, changing the way that information is conveyed to the user and the ways users interact with devices, with other people, and with the world around them. Smart systems have offered a novel way of producing automated solutions to hard problems for which the mere use of the human intellect is insufficient. Research in CYENS integrates the Visual Sciences, Human Factors & Design, and Communications & Artificial Intelligence, in a tight synergy that provides a unique interdisciplinary research perspective that emphasizes an “Inspired by Humans, Designed for Humans” philosophy. CYENS is designed to act as an integrator of academic research and industrial innovation, towards the sustainable fueling of the scientific, technological, and economic growth of Cyprus and Europe.
The successful candidate will conduct research as a part of the PEDESTRIAN project. The candidate will be working in the Smart Human-centered Emerging Technologies (BIO-SCENT) MRG, under the supervision of Dr Zenonas Theodosiou and will collaborate closely with researchers from the Socially Competent Robotic and Agent Technologies (SCRAT) MRG.
PEDESTRIAN is a CYENS internal research project which aims to develop advanced visual wearable technologies for improving the walking conditions of pedestrians in Nicosia.
The successful candidate will be responsible for carrying out the below duties and responsibilities:
General qualifications and requirements
- Collect and analyze the pedestrians’ needs and requirements
- Contribute to the creation of the training datasets
- Develop and evaluate First-Person computer vision learning models
- Prepare project reports and deliverables
- Bachelor's degree and postgraduate degree in a relevant field (Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Data Science, Mathematics, Physics, Multimedia) from an accredited institution
- Strong computer programming skills (e.g., Python, Matlab, C/C++)
- Prior experience with Machine Learning / Use of Deep Learning Libraries (e.g., Tensorflow, Pytorch etc.)
- Excellent written and oral English-language skills will be required
- Ph.D. in a relevant field (e.g., Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Data Science, Computer Vision, Machine Learning, Multimedia) from an accredited institution will be considered an advantage
- Prior experience in a research position will be considered an advantage
- Research publications will be considered an advantage
Take advantage of this opportunity for your professional and personal development by being a part of our fast- growing Research and Innovation Centre of Excellence. A very attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate according to qualifications and experience.
For full consideration, interested applicants should submit the following items via the online application form
and mention the position you are applying for: "Application for PEDESTRIAN project (BIO-SCENT) Research Associate
Process for Research Associates:
- A cover letter which clearly specifies 1) contact details, 2) employment availability date, 3) part-time or full-time availability
- A detailed curriculum vitae in English.
- Copies of academic transcripts
- Description of their academic and research experiences as well as any relevant industrial / innovation / entrepreneurship experience, where applicable (500 words maximum).
- Contact details of two University professors or one University professor and one industry referee who will provide the letters.
- Two (2) representative publications (if applicable).
- Two (2) representative innovation outcomes / products (if applicable).
In case you previously applied for a post at CYENS CoE, a new application is required.
For general enquiries, applicants may contact the HR Department of CYENS, Centre of Excellence at email@example.com
For more information contact the project coordinator, Dr Zenonas Theodosiou, firstname.lastname@example.org
CYENS Centre of Excellence is an equal opportunity employer and the position is open to everyone, internationally.
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.
Location: CYENS Center of Excellence, Nicosia, Cyprus.
Type: An initial one-year employment contract will be offered with the possibility for renewal depending on performance and project needs.