Position: Research Associate - Emerging Technologies
Part-Time employment (40%-70%)
An initial 12-month employment contract will be offered with the possibility for renewal depending on performance and project needs.
Location: Nicosia, Cyprus
Preferred Start Date: 1st June 2023
Application Deadline: 10th April 2023
CYENS Centre of Excellence (formerly known as RISE) is the Research Centre of Excellence in Cyprus focusing on Interactive media, Smart systems and Emerging technologies aiming to empower knowledge and technology transfer in the region. It is a joint venture between the three public universities of Cyprus - University of Cyprus, Cyprus University of Technology, and, Open University of Cyprus, the Municipality of Nicosia, and two renowned international partners, the Max Planck Institute for Informatics, Germany, and, the University College London, United Kingdom. This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme H2020-WIDESPREAD-01-2016-2017 (Teaming Phase 2) under grant agreement No. 739578, as well as from the Cypriot Government, local and international partners, and other sponsors.
The Centre conducts excellent, internationally competitive scientific research in the areas of visual sciences, human factors and design, communication, and artificial intelligence delivered by high-calibre multidisciplinary research teams. CYENS engages in knowledge transfer and innovation activities aiming to bridge the gap between scientific research and STEM-led innovation and entrepreneurship.
The research focus of CYENS is on interactive media, smart systems, and emerging technologies. Interactive media have become an integral part of our lives, changing the way that information is conveyed to the user and the ways users interact with devices, with other people, and with the world around them. Smart systems have offered a novel way of producing automated solutions to hard problems for which the mere use of the human intellect is insufficient. Research in CYENS integrates the Visual Sciences, Human Factors & Design, and Communications & Artificial Intelligence, in a tight synergy that provides a unique interdisciplinary research perspective that emphasizes an “Inspired by Humans, Designed for Humans” philosophy. CYENS is designed to act as an integrator of academic research and industrial innovation, towards the sustainable fuelling of the scientific, technological, and economic growth of Cyprus and Europe.
The successful candidate will be involved in new and ongoing research projects that involve the development of novel applications that utilize smart emerging technologies. Within this context emerging technologies refer to smart Virtual/Mixed/Augmented Reality Applications or other related applications. As part of the duties the successful candidate will carry out research-related activities that include literature review, application development and evaluation, scientific paper authoring, research dissemination activities (i.e. presentations at conferences), research proposal preparation, and research program coordination.
The successful candidate will work under the supervision of the Biometrics for Smart Human-centered Emerging Technologies (BIO-SCENT) MRG Leader, Dr Andreas Lanitis.
Responsibilities of the Computer Vision/Machine Learning Research Associate:
General qualifications and requirements
- Research Proposal preparation
- Development of new applications, that includes implementation, data gathering, testing and demonstration.
- Preparation/presentation of research papers
- Contact with possible end users of the research conducted
- Participation in externally founded research projects.
Profile of the ideal candidate
- University Degree, Bachelor's degree and/or Postgraduate degree in a relevant field (Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Data Science, Interactive Multimedia, Game Design) from an accredited institution.
- Ph.D in a relevant field (e.g. Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Multimedia) from an accredited institution.
- At least one-year post-doctoral working experience in research-oriented posts.
- Previous research experience and high impact research publications on relevant topics.
- Experience with research proposal writing/project management.
- Experience with statistical analysis using dedicated tools (i.e. SPSS).
- Strong computer programming skills (e.g. Python, Matlab, C/C++, Unity 3D).
- Prior experience in innovation and or applied research activities will be considered an advantage.
- Language requirements: Excellent written and oral English-language skills will be required.
- For non-EU applicants a work permit will be required.
- Ability to independently identify problems and carry out research work within the scope of the MRG.
- Ability to interact with stakeholders in application domains and identify opportunities for collaboration.
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Strong organizational, communication, presentation, and negotiation skills, having the ability to deal confidently and politely with enquiries.
- Very good analytical skills coupled with attention to detail.
- Dynamic, adaptable, hands-on and results driven.
- A team player with an ability to work independently and under pressure.
- High levels of commitment, energy, and drive.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Take advantage of this opportunity for your professional and personal development by being a part of our fast- growing Research Technology Development and Innovation Centre of Excellence. A very attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate according to qualifications and experience.
For full consideration, interested applicants should submit the following items via the “Application for BIO-SCENT Research Associate”:
- A cover letter which clearly specifies 1) contact details, 2) employment availability date, 3) rationale on why you think you would be a good fit for the position.
- A detailed curriculum vitae in English.
- Copies of academic degrees and transcripts BSc/MSc/PhD degree(s).
- Description of academic and research experiences as well as any plans for a research project related to the theme of the MRG (500 words maximum).
- Contact details of two referees, wither two University professors or one University professor and one industry referee
In case you previously applied for a post at CYENS CoE, a new application is required.
For general enquiries, applicants may contact the HR Department of CYENS, Centre of Excellence at email@example.com
CYENS Centre of Excellence is an equal opportunity employer and the position is open to everyone, internationally.
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.
|ABOUT CYENS CoE
CYENS Centre of Excellence is a Centre of Excellence in Research and Innovation on Information and Communication Technologies in Cyprus, aiming to empower knowledge and technology transfer in the region. It is a joint venture between the three public universities of Cyprus - University of Cyprus, Cyprus University of Technology, and, Open University of Cyprus- , the Municipality of Nicosia, and two renowned international partners, the Max Planck Institute for Informatics, Germany, and, the University College London, United Kingdom.
Deadline: 10 April. 2023
Location: Nicosia, Cyprus
Type: An initial 12-month employment contract will be offered with the possibility for renewal depending on performance and project needs.