CYENS (formerly known as RISE) is a research centre of excellence in Nicosia, Cyprus. CYENS CoE is a significant investment supported by the European Commission, the Republic of Cyprus and its founding Partners, the Municipality of Nicosia, Max Planck Institute, University College London, the University of Cyprus, the Cyprus University of Technology and the Open University of Cyprus. This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme H2020-WIDESPREAD-01-2016-2017 (Teaming Phase 2) under grant agreement No. 739578, as well as from the Cypriot Government, local and international partners, and other sponsors.
The Centre conducts excellent, internationally competitive scientific research in the areas of visual sciences, human factors and design, communication, and artificial intelligence delivered by high-calibre multidisciplinary research teams. CYENS engages in knowledge transfer and innovation activities aiming to bridge the gap between scientific research and STEM-led innovation and entrepreneurship.
The research focus of CYENS is on interactive media, smart systems, and emerging technologies. Interactive media have become an integral part of our lives, changing the way that information is conveyed to the user and the ways users interact with devices, with other people, and with the world around them. Smart systems have offered a novel way of producing automated solutions to hard problems for which the mere use of the human intellect is insufficient. Research in CYENS integrates the Visual Sciences, Human Factors & Design, and Communications & Artificial Intelligence, in a tight synergy that provides a unique interdisciplinary research perspective that emphasizes an “Inspired by Humans, Designed for Humans” philosophy. CYENS is designed to act as an integrator of academic research and industrial innovation, towards the sustainable fuelling of the scientific, technological, and economic growth of Cyprus and Europe.
The successful candidates will work for the EdMedia Group of CYENS. EdMedia work is related to learning experience design, interaction design for edutainment, technology-enhanced learning, UX design, technology integration in training and education.
The successful candidates will have the opportunity to support and engage with applied research projects in the aforementioned areas and work under the supervision of EdMedia, team leader, Dr. Andri Ioannou.
The group currently runs three projects: EDUBOTS, ENTER, Othello Tower and works closely with the team of researchers at the https://www.cyprusinteractionlab.com/, particularly on the project ASSESSMAKE21.
Qualifications & requirements
Additional qualifications relevant to EdMedia
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. UX or/and LX Design, Interactive Multimedia, Information Technology, Educational Technology, Applied Design e.g., Architecture) from an accredited institution.
- Excellent knowledge of both spoken and written English.
- For non-EU applicants a work permit will be required.
- Postgraduate degree in a relevant field.
- Experience with the design of system and services in application areas.
- Experience with VR technologies.
- Experience in Entrepreneurship related projects.
- Research experience with human subjects/participants.
- Computer programming skills or/and knowledge of a game engine (e.g. Unity).
- Previous grant-writing experience will be considered an advantage.
Take advantage of this opportunity for your professional and personal development by being a part of our fast- growing Research Technology Development and Innovation Centre of Excellence. An remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate according to qualifications and experience.
For full consideration, interested applicants should submit the following items via the online application form
and mention the position you are applying for: “Application: Research Associate: EdMedia”:
- A cover letter which clearly specifies i) contact details, ii) employment availability date, iii) part-time or full-time availability, and (iv) rationale on why you think you would be a good fit for the position.
- A detailed curriculum vitae in English.
- Copies of transcripts of BSc/MSc/PhD degree(s).
- Description of their academic and research experiences as well as any relevant industrial / innovation / entrepreneurship experience, where applicable (500 words maximum).
- Contact details of two (2) University professors or one University professor and one industry referee who will provide the letters.
- Two (2) representative publications (if applicable).
- Two (2) representative innovation outcomes / products (if applicable).
In case you previously applied for a post at CYENS, a new application is required.
For general enquiries, applicants may contact the HR Department of the Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart Systems and Emerging Technologies at email@example.com
More details about the specific MRG research area can be found here
For non-EU applicants a work permit will be required.
CYENS is an equal opportunity employer and the position is open to everyone, internationally.
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.
*Remains open until the position is filled.
Deadline: 01 January. 2022
Location: Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart Systems and Emerging Technologies, Nicosia, Cyprus
Type: An initial one-year employment contract will be offered with the possibility for renewal depending on performance and project needs.