Preferred Start Date: October 2021 or as soon thereafter
The Centre conducts excellent, internationally competitive scientific research in the areas of visual sciences, human factors and design, communication, and artificial intelligence delivered by high-calibre multidisciplinary research teams. CYENS engages in knowledge transfer and innovation activities aiming to bridge the gap between scientific research and STEM-led innovation and entrepreneurship.
The Learning Agents and Robots (LEAR) MRG conducts research on artificial intelligence and its intersection with robotics, focusing on creating software agents and robots that learn to predict and understand the world, solve tasks, accumulate skills, interact with humans or other agents, and make adaptive decisions in complex, dynamic and uncertain environments. To achieve these goals, the group investigates approaches from machine learning (e.g., reinforcement learning, deep learning, meta-learning), evolutionary computation (e.g., quality-diversity optimization), neuroscience-inspired artificial intelligence (e.g., replay processes, neuromodulation, attention), simulation, planning under uncertainty, computer vision, and model-predictive control.
The LEAR MRG is looking for a research associate with experience in robot learning (see more details about qualifications below). The successful candidate will have the opportunity to conduct both fundamental and applied research in the aforementioned areas; strong programming skills are important for this position. The position holder will also participate in the preparation of research proposals for funding, project reports and deliverables, and travel abroad for dissemination activities. Furthermore, position holders should publish/present their research results in prestigious international conferences and journals and contribute to the research centre’s key performance indicators. The successful candidate will work under the supervision of the LEAR MRG Team Leader, Dr Vassilis Vassiliades.
Responsibilities of the Research Associate:
General qualifications and requirements:
- Carry out research in the area of Robot Learning.
- Participation in currently active research projects in the MRG.
- Preparation/presentation of research papers.
- Preparation/submission of research proposals.
- Participation in innovation activities related to the exploitation of research outputs.
Profile of the ideal candidate – relevant qualities required for specific role:
- Postgraduate degree in a relevant field (Computer Science, Computer/Electrical/Mechanical Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Robotics) from an accredited institution.
- PhD in a relevant field (e.g. Robot Learning / Reinforcement Learning / Deep Learning / Planning / Optimal Control / Machine Learning / Artificial Intelligence) is preferred (exceptional non-PhD holders will also be considered).
- Strong programming skills in modern C++ and Python.
- Experience with robotic simulators (e.g., Gazebo, Isaac Sim), physics engines (e.g., Bullet, DART, MuJoCo), working with ROS and/or physical robots.
- Research publications on relevant topics (a must for PhD holders / an advantage for non-PhD holders).
- Experience with machine learning and deep learning (e.g., libraries such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc., or processing various types of data such as images, videos, sequences, signals, text, graphs, point clouds etc.) is highly desired.
- Experience with reinforcement learning, planning, or model-predictive control is highly desired.
- Experience with evolutionary robotics (e.g., quality-diversity algorithms), autonomous systems (e.g., sensor fusion), or game engines (e.g., Unity) will be considered an advantage.
- Strong mathematical background (e.g., linear algebra, multivariate calculus & optimization, probability theory & statistics, algorithms & complexity, information theory, control theory) will be considered an advantage.
- Previous grant-writing experience will be considered an advantage.
- Previous relevant industrial / innovation / entrepreneurship experience and interest will be considered an advantage.
- Excellent written and oral English-language skills will be required.
- For non-EU applicants a work permit will be required.
- Ability to independently identify problems and carry out research work within the scope of the MRG.
- Ability to interact with stakeholders in application domains and identify opportunities for collaboration.
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Strong organizational, communication, presentation, and negotiation skills, having the ability to deal confidently and politely with enquiries.
- Very good analytical skills coupled with attention to detail.
- Dynamic, adaptable, hands-on and results driven.
- A team player with an ability to work independently and under pressure.
- High levels of commitment, energy, and drive.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Take advantage of this opportunity for your professional and personal development by being a part of our fast-growing Research Technology Development and Innovation Centre of Excellence. A very attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate according to qualifications and experience.
For full consideration, interested applicants should submit the following items via the online application form and mention the position you are applying for: “Research Associate in Robot Learning for Learning Agents and Robots (LEAR) MRG”:
- A cover letter which clearly specifies 1) contact details, 2) employment availability date, 3) rationale on why you think you would be a good fit for the position.
- A detailed curriculum vitae in English.
- Copies of academic degrees and transcripts BSc/MSc/PhD degree(s).
- Description of academic and research experiences as well as any plans for a research project related to the theme of the MRG (500 words maximum).
- Contact details of two referees, either two University professors or one University professor and one industry referee.
In case you previously applied for a post at CYENS CoE, a new application is required.
For general enquiries, applicants may contact the HR Department of CYENS, Centre of Excellence at firstname.lastname@example.org
CYENS Centre of Excellence is an equal opportunity employer and the position is open to everyone, internationally.
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.
Deadline: 31 August. 2021
Location: Nicosia, Cyprus
Type: An initial one-year employment contract will be offered with the possibility for renewal depending on performance and project needs.