Position: Research Associate- Full Stack Software Developer
Category: An initial one-year employment contract will be offered with the possibility for renewal depending on performance.
Location: Nicosia, Cyprus
Preferred Start Date: January 2023 or as soon thereafter
Application Deadline: Remain open until the position is filled
No. of positions: 2
About the position
The Smart Networked Systems Research Group conducts research in Computer and Communication technologies, networks and protocols. Following the successful award of two multi-year Research and Innovation grants from the Horizon Europe program, SNS is seeking for a Full Stack Software Developer to join its fast-growing team of passionate and enthusiastic researchers and ICT professionals.
The job holder will be part of the Metacities, ADROIT6G, and the iNicosia flagship project. The successful candidate will work under the supervision of the Smart Network Systems Research Group Leader, Prof Vasos Vassiliou.
Desired Qualifications & Requirements
- Hands-on role, designing, building, testing, documenting and deploying software solutions
- Participation in the design of architecture, selection of implementation technologies and systems
- Follow software development methodologies and release processes, to ensure code is maintainable and scalable
- Carry out Software Development, Cross-Platform Testing, and Unit Testing,
- Designing and developing APIs
- Participate in internal and external technical workshops and project meetings
- Work with the SNS research team to design and implement solutions in the context of the current research projects
- Build proof-of-concepts and prototypes to demonstrate the validity of proposed research and designed solutions
Profile of the ideal candidate:
- University degree/diploma in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field.
- 2-5 years’ experience on Software Development (Full Stack)
- Proficiency in any Server Side language (C#, Java, Ruby, Python)
- Knowledge of SQL and NoSQL Databases (familiarity with Redis, RabbitMQ/Kafka, Elasticsearch will be an advantage)
- Experience building solutions with AWS, GCE, Azure, etc. is a plus
- Experience building elastic, scalable APIs / microservices is a plus
- Language requirements: Excellent written and oral English-language skills will be required.
- For non-EU applicants a work permit will be required
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Strong organizational, communication, presentation, and negotiation skills, having the ability to deal confidently and politely with enquiries.
- Very good analytical skills coupled with attention to detail.
- Dynamic, adaptable, hands-on and results driven.
- A team player with an ability to work independently and under pressure.
- High levels of commitment, energy, and drive.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Take advantage of this opportunity for your professional and personal development by being a part of our fast- growing Research and Innovation Centre of Excellence. A very attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate according to qualifications and experience.
For full consideration, interested applicants should submit the following items via “Application for Full Stack Software Developer -SNS MRG”:
Process for Research Associates:
- Full CV (including contact details).
- Cover letter which clearly states: (a) how you envision your role, (b) how your experience and qualifications match the specific position, and (c) the availability date for full-time employment (d) contact details of two referees.
In case you previously applied for a post at CYENS CoE, a new application is required.
About CYENS CoE
Centre of Excellence is focusing on Interactive media, Smart systems and Emerging technologies aiming to empower knowledge and technology transfer in Cyprus and wider region. It is a joint venture between the three public universities of Cyprus: the University of Cyprus, the Cyprus University of Technology, and the Open University of Cyprus, the Municipality of Nicosia, and two renowned international partners, the Max Planck Institute for Informatics, Germany, and, the University College London, United Kingdom. This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020
research and innovation programme H2020-WIDESPREAD-01-2016-2017 (Teaming Phase 2) under grant agreement No. 739578, as well as from the Cypriot Government, local and international partners, and other sponsors.
Research in CYENS integrates the Visual Sciences, Human Factors & Design, and Communications & Artificial Intelligence, in a tight synergy that provides a unique interdisciplinary research perspective that emphasizes an “Inspired by Humans, Designed for Humans” philosophy. The Centre conducts excellent, internationally competitive scientific research delivered by 18 high-caliber multidisciplinary research teams. CYENS engages in knowledge transfer and innovation activities aiming to act as an integrator of academic research and industrial innovation, towards the sustainable fueling of the scientific, technological, and economic growth of Cyprus and Europe.
CYENS Centre of Excellence is an equal opportunity employer and the position is open to everyone, internationally.
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.
Location: Nicosia, Cyprus
Type: An initial one-year employment contract will be offered with the possibility for renewal depending on performance.