Preferred Start Date: April 2021.
Application Deadline: 14th March 2021
CYENS (formerly known as RISE) is a research centre of excellence in Nicosia, Cyprus. CYENS CoE is a significant investment supported by the European Commission, the Republic of Cyprus and its founding Partners, the Municipality of Nicosia, Max Planck Institute, University College London, the University of Cyprus, the Cyprus University of Technology and the Open University of Cyprus. This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme H2020-WIDESPREAD-01-2016-2017 (Teaming Phase 2) under grant agreement No. 739578, as well as from the Cypriot Government, local and international partners, and other sponsors.
The Centre conducts excellent, internationally competitive scientific research in the areas of visual sciences, human factors and design, communication, and artificial intelligence delivered by high-calibre multidisciplinary research teams. CYENS engages in knowledge transfer and innovation activities aiming to bridge the gap between scientific research and STEM-led innovation and entrepreneurship.
The Centre is seeking an Entrepreneurship Community Manager to join its fast-growing team of passionate and enthusiastic professionals. The primary purpose of the role will be to providing a high standard of leadership, operation management and maintenance of Entrepreneurship activities and facilities at CYENS. These activities will predominantly be external facing. The role will include the leadership and development of a coherent programme of activities that promote entrepreneurship within the external community surrounding CYENS.
CYENS Centre of Excellence is an equal opportunity employer and the position is open to everyone, internationally.
Responsibilities of Entrepreneurship Community Manager
• To lead, manage and ensure the delivery of a comprehensive programme of entrepreneurship development activities aimed at a diverse range of target audiences across the island, with a goal of developing the Research, Technology, Development and Innovation (RTDI) capacity of the island. Kick-starting a vibrant entrepreneurship community centred around CYENS and its entrepreneurship facilities that will include CYENS co-working incubation and start-up spaces. Such activities will include:
o An annual CYENS accelerator programme,
o Activities that will include elements of hackathons and business plan competitions.
o Program of activities that will support local entrepreneurs and businesses that may develop from within the CYENS ecosystems, researchers, students and / or partners.
• Ensure that all activities are complimentary and aligned to the technical scope and mission of CYENS.
• Take a leadership role in the development of an entrepreneurial community at CYENS co-working space and Entrepreneurship facilities.
• Work with internal and external stakeholders aiming to secure funding through EU proposals and generate other income of sources that will support activities of the co-working space and affiliated programmes of entrepreneurship support.
• Develop and implement effective methods of engaging under-represented groups and island wide participation (including the Turkish Cypriot Community) in CYENS co-working space, entrepreneurship activities and facilities
• Manage the daily operations, administration of all users of our Entrepreneurship facilities, which will predominantly consist of CYENS co-working, incubation, and stat-up spaces.
• Develop an innovative sustainable funding model for our Entrepreneurship facilities and programmes
• Budgetary management for externally facing Entrepreneurship activities, CYENS Co-Working space and Entrepreneurship facilities and programs and preparation of a sustainable funding model.
• Handle queries from current and prospective members of the CYENS Entrepreneurship community.
• Develop a monitoring system for venue users to capture relevant metrics. Produce regular analytics on users and recommend strategic approaches to build targeted community engagement
• With the Training and Education Manager manage subcontractors used in the delivery of Entrepreneurial programmes, such as Business advisors and Business Mentors.
• Contribute to implementation of the Entrepreneurship facilities, activities and community marketing strategy and building the brand of CYENS Entrepreneurship activities
• Oversee the occupancy and composition of the CYENS Co-working space and Entrepreneurship facilities at sustainable levels
• Support the development of new initiatives to enhance the profile, utilisation and engagement of CYENS’s Co-working space, entrepreneurship facilities and entrepreneurship activities
• To actively keep up to date with, and implement, international best-practice in the field of entrepreneurship development and promotion, especially in relation to emerging technology, entrepreneurship for regional development, and entrepreneurship in co-existence with academic research.
Desired qualifications & requirements
• University degree (preferably in Business or Technology relevant fields).
• Master’s degree will be considered an advantage.
• At least 3 years of experience of entrepreneurship and / or start-up communities.
• Experience of building communities, teams, groups or networks and co-working environments.
• Proven experience in managing a team, directly or indirectly.
• Knowledge of new and emerging ICT technologies, such as IoT, AI, Virtual/Augmented Reality will be considered an advantage.
• Experience on facilities management will be considered an advantage.
• Computer literate
• Excellent written and oral English-language skills will be required. Knowledge of Greek and / or Turkish language will be considered highly advantageous.
• For non-EU applicants a work permit will be required
Profile of the ideal candidate
• Self-motivated with an ability to take initiative and work independently.
• Strong organizational, communication, presentation, and negotiation skills, having the ability to deal confidently and politely with enquiries.
• Very good analytical skills coupled with attention to detail.
Take advantage of this opportunity for your professional and personal development by being a part of our fast- growing Research Technology Development and Innovation Centre of Excellence. A very attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate according to qualifications and experience.
For full consideration interested applicants should submit the following items via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
and use the email subject line: “Application: Entrepreneurship Community Manager”:
1. Full CV (including contact details)
2. Cover letter which clearly states: (a) how you envision your role, (b) how your experience and qualifications match the specific position, and (c) the availability date for full-time employment.
Application deadline: 14th March 2021.
In case you previously applied for a post at CYENS, a new application is required.
For general enquiries, applicants may contact the HR Department of the Research Centre at email@example.com
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.
Deadline: 14 March. 2021
Location: Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart Systems and Emerging Technologies, Nicosia, Cyprus
Type: Full-time employment. Open-term contract.