CYENS Centre of Excellence (formerly known as RISE) is the Research Centre of Excellence in Cyprus focusing on Interactive media, Smart systems and Emerging technologies aiming to empower knowledge and technology transfer in the region. It is a joint venture between the three public universities of Cyprus - University of Cyprus, Cyprus University of Technology, and, Open University of Cyprus- , the Municipality of Nicosia, and two renowned international partners, the Max Planck Institute for Informatics, Germany, and, the University College London, United Kingdom. This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme H2020-WIDESPREAD-01-2016-2017 (Teaming Phase 2) under grant agreement No. 739578, as well as from the Cypriot Government, local and international partners, and other sponsors.
The Centre conducts excellent, internationally competitive scientific research in the areas of visual sciences, human factors and design, communication, and artificial intelligence delivered by high-calibre multidisciplinary research teams. CYENS engages in knowledge transfer and innovation activities aiming to bridge the gap between scientific research and STEM-led innovation and entrepreneurship.
The research focus of CYENS is on interactive media, smart systems, and emerging technologies. Interactive media have become an integral part of our lives, changing the way that information is conveyed to the user and the ways users interact with devices, with other people, and with the world around them. Smart systems have offered a novel way of producing automated solutions to hard problems for which the mere use of the human intellect is insufficient. Research in CYENS integrates the Visual Sciences, Human Factors & Design, and Communications & Artificial Intelligence, in a tight synergy that provides a unique interdisciplinary research perspective that emphasizes an “Inspired by Humans, Designed for Humans” philosophy. CYENS is designed to act as an integrator of academic research and industrial innovation, towards the sustainable fuelling of the scientific, technological, and economic growth of Cyprus and Europe.
The Centre is seeking for a MakerSpace Design Desk Officer to join its fast-growing team of passionate and enthusiastic professionals. The successful candidate will play an integral role in ensuring the smooth running of the newly established Maker Space of CYENS, the operation of which may be co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) of the EU in the framework of the Operational Programme “Competitiveness and Sustainable Development 2014-2020”, Priority Axis 6: “Integrated Sustainable Urban Development for the Programming Period 2014-2020 and in the framework of the implementation of the Integrated Development Strategy of Nicosia Municipality.
Responsibilities of Makerspace Design Desk Officer:
General qualifications and requirements
- Organize, setup and manage the daily operation and maintenance of the Makerspace Design Desk and Exhibition Area.
- Assist Artists in Residence, members, and visitors with their general and project specific needs.
- Manage and curate Makerspace events and exhibitions.
- Be actively engaged with the promotion of the space.
- Provide administrative support for the MakerSpace Team and have an active role in dissemination activities.
- Create and teach workshops aimed at educating members on the use of the makerspace equipment for the fulfilment of personal and group projects on the fundamentals of design.
- Monitor the Makerspace Design Desk and Reception Area ensuring a safe work environment adherent to the Centre’s Health and Safety program including the proper usage of tools.
- Manage bookings of the exhibition space, technicians, and equipment.
- Maintain inventory and order consumables for their annotated area as needed.
- Work on special events as needed both onsite and offsite.
- Follow CYENS’ Emergency Action Plan.
Profile of the ideal candidate:
- University degree in Design (BA or MA in related field, textile, product, concept, manufacturing, 3D-modeling etc.)
- Demonstrated successful completion of Maker/Designer associated projects (Artistic or Technological).
- Knowledge in 3D and 2D design software (for example: Rhino, AutoCAD etc.)
- Have an aesthetic awareness and perspective within a digital fabrication studio.
- Teaching group demonstration experience (formal or informal).
- Experience providing individual/small group instruction and ability to offer advice to and work closely with young inventors.
- Knowledge and experience with computer-controlled machinery (laser cutting, 3D printing, scanning and modelling software) and digital fabrication equipment (3D printer, laser cutter, CNC router) is appreciated.
- Knowledge of Arduino, and Raspberry Pi will be considered an advantage.
- Language requirements: Fluent in English and Greek (written and spoken)
- For non-EU applicants a work permit will be required
- Can work both within the structures of a team and as an individual.
- Excellent communication and organisational skills
- Dynamic, trustworthy, and committed
- Ability to apply critical thinking in the work environment.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with diverse internal and external stakeholders
Take advantage of this opportunity for your professional and personal development by being a part of our fast- growing Research Technology Development and Innovation Centre of Excellence. A very attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate according to qualifications and experience.
For full consideration, interested applicants should submit the following items via the online application form
and mention the position you are applying for: “Application for Design Desk Officer”:
- Full CV (including contact details).
- Cover letter which clearly states: (a) how you envision your role, (b) how your experience and qualifications match the specific position, and (c) the availability date for full-time employment (d) contact details of two referees.
In case you previously applied for a post at CYENS CoE, a new application is required.
For general enquiries, applicants may contact the HR Department of CYENS, Centre of Excellence at email@example.com
CYENS Centre of Excellence is an equal opportunity employer and the position is open to everyone, internationally.
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.
The project “Nicosia entrepreneurship and innovation Hub” that includes the operation of the Thinker Maker Space of the CYENS Centre of Excellence, is co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) of the EU in the framework of the Operational Programme “Competitiveness and Sustainable Development 2014-2020”, Priority Axis 6: “Integrated Sustainable Urban Development for the Programming Period 2014-2020, from the Republic of Cyprus and Nicosia Municipality.
CYENS CoE was established through the RISE project that has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme under Grant Agreement No 739578 and the Government of the Republic of Cyprus through the Deputy Ministry of Research, Innovation and Digital Policy.
Deadline: 17 October. 2021
Location: Nicosia, Cyprus
Type: Full-time employment. Open-term contract.