Position: Technology Transfer Officer / Junior role
No. of Positions: 2 (two)
Category: Full-time employment. Open ended contract
Location: Nicosia, Cyprus
Preferred Start Date: November 2022 or as soon thereafter.
Application Deadline: 6th October 2022
About the position
The Centre is seeking for two Technology Transfer Officers to join its fast-growing team of passionate and enthusiastic professionals. The job holder will support the Technology Transfer Manager in commercializing new software solutions, including Virtual Reality and Machine Learning applications developed at CYENS by carrying out market research, assessment of commercial potential and development of business models. This role is suitable for recent post-graduates, ideally with a PhD in applied mathematics, computer science, computer graphics, or related field with a good business acumen or MBA graduates with a strong technical background who are interested in starting a career in innovation management. No prior experience in technology transfer is necessary; training will be provided.
Responsibilities of Technology Transfer Officer:
The Tech Transfer Officers will be part of a team supporting the Tech Transfer Manager in:
- Working with and assisting CYENS academics in commercializing new in-house developed software solutions, predominantly from the fields of computer sciences and e-research.
- Assisting in identification and execution of new commercial strategies for transferring software and related technologies to industrial partners.
- Marketing software and related technologies to potential end-users.
- Assisting in negotiating appropriate licensing contracts, in conjunction with legal experts.
- Managing the formation of spin-out companies.
- Supporting post-deal activity, including renewals to licenses.
- Assisting in negotiating commercial contracts with relevant industry sectors, ideally related to the licensing of software products.
- Assisting in management of a large and growing portfolio of projects to a successful commercial conclusion.
Skills and competencies required:
- Advanced University degree (Master’s Degree or Degree of a level equivalent to Master’s Degree) or Diploma or Certificate or other study title or qualifications in Computer Sciences, Engineering, Mathematics, Business Administration, or a related field. A PhD will be preferred.
- Good appreciation of the development, application and use of software and ICT gained either in a commercial or technical role.
- The ambition to achieve results, along with a commitment to integrity and sound commercial judgement.
- Fluent in English (written and spoken).
- Grasping technical concepts quickly and translating these into commercially viable proposals.
- Showing tenacity and persistence in business development situations where appropriate.
- Deploying excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Working successfully within a close-knit team.
Take advantage of this opportunity for your professional and personal development by being a part of our fast- growing Research and Innovation Centre of Excellence. A very attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate according to qualifications and experience.
For full consideration, interested applicants should submit the following items via the online application form
and mention the position you are applying for: “Application for Technology Transfer Officer
Process for other positions:
- Full CV (including contact details).
- Cover letter which clearly states: (a) how you envision your role, (b) how your experience and qualifications match the specific position, and (c) the availability date for full-time employment (d) contact details of two referees.
In case you previously applied for a post at CYENS CoE, a new application is required.
For general enquiries, applicants may contact the HR Department of CYENS, Centre of Excellence at firstname.lastname@example.org
About CYENS CoE
Centre of Excellence is focusing on Interactive media, Smart systems and Emerging technologies aiming to empower knowledge and technology transfer in Cyprus and wider region. It is a joint venture between the three public universities of Cyprus: The University of Cyprus, the Cyprus University of Technology, and the Open University of Cyprus, the Municipality of Nicosia, and two renowned international partners, the Max Planck Institute for Informatics, Germany, and, the University College London, United Kingdom. This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020
research and innovation programme H2020-WIDESPREAD-01-2016-2017 (Teaming Phase 2) under grant agreement No. 739578, as well as from the Cypriot Government, local and international partners, and other sponsors.
Research in CYENS integrates the Visual Sciences, Human Factors & Design, and Communications & Artificial Intelligence, in a tight synergy that provides a unique interdisciplinary research perspective that emphasizes an “Inspired by Humans, Designed for Humans” philosophy. The Centre conducts excellent, internationally competitive scientific research delivered by 18 high-caliber multidisciplinary research teams. CYENS engages in knowledge transfer and innovation activities aiming to act as an integrator of academic research and industrial innovation, towards the sustainable fueling of the scientific, technological, and economic growth of Cyprus and Europe.
CYENS Centre of Excellence is an equal opportunity employer and the position is open to everyone, internationally.
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.
Deadline: 06 October. 2022
Location: Nicosia, Cyprus
Type: Full-time employment. Open ended contract