Preferred Start Date: 1st September 2021 or as soon thereafter
CYENS Centre of Excellence (formerly known as RISE) is the Research Centre of Excellence in Cyprus focusing on Interactive media, Smart systems and Emerging technologies aiming to empower knowledge and technology transfer in the region. It is a joint venture between the three public universities of Cyprus - University of Cyprus, Cyprus University of Technology, and, Open University of Cyprus- , the Municipality of Nicosia, and two renowned international partners, the Max Planck Institute for Informatics, Germany, and, the University College London, United Kingdom. This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme H2020-WIDESPREAD-01-2016-2017 (Teaming Phase 2) under grant agreement No. 739578, as well as from the Cypriot Government, local and international partners, and other sponsors.
The Centre conducts excellent, internationally competitive scientific research in the areas of visual sciences, human factors and design, communication, and artificial intelligence delivered by high-calibre multidisciplinary research teams. CYENS engages in knowledge transfer and innovation activities aiming to bridge the gap between scientific research and STEM-led innovation and entrepreneurship.
The research focus of CYENS is on interactive media, smart systems, and emerging technologies. Interactive media have become an integral part of our lives, changing the way that information is conveyed to the user and the ways users interact with devices, with other people, and with the world around them. Smart systems have offered a novel way of producing automated solutions to hard problems for which the mere use of the human intellect is insufficient. Research in CYENS integrates the Visual Sciences, Human Factors & Design, and Communications & Artificial Intelligence, in a tight synergy that provides a unique interdisciplinary research perspective that emphasizes an “Inspired by Humans, Designed for Humans” philosophy. CYENS is designed to act as an integrator of academic research and industrial innovation, towards the sustainable fueling of the scientific, technological, and economic growth of Cyprus and Europe.
The Centre is seeking an IT Manager to join its fast-growing team of passionate and enthusiastic professionals. The IT Manager will play an important role in ensuring the smooth running of the computer-related activities of the Centre.
Responsibilities of IT Manager
- Manage information technology and computer systems supporting the Centre’s operations.
- Design, develop, implement and coordinate IT systems, policies and procedures.
- Plan, design and implement IT projects providing needed documentation and coordinating with the relevant teams to ensure the delivery of high-end secure systems.
- Manage and support cluster-HPC systems.
- Monitor performance of information technology systems to determine cost and productivity levels, and to make recommendations for improving the IT infrastructure.
- Ensure security of data, network availability and access and backup systems.
- Lead, train, develop, appraise and manage the IT team and be the responsible person for all purchasing order and approval of IT-related requests.
- Manage and oversee the installation and maintenance of the Centre’s hardware and software and propose recommendations to optimise their use.
- Manage and maintain interactions with service providers ensuring they provide the required level of service as per the agreements.
- Work with deadlines for major projects of migrations and upgrades.
- Identify problematic areas and implement timely strategic solutions.
- Preserve assets, information and data security and control structures.
- Plan and develop the training of the research personnel for the optimal use of resources.
- Handle annual IT budget and ensure cost effectiveness.
General qualifications and requirements:
- University Degree; Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in a relevant field (Information Technology, /computer Science, Computer Engineering or related.
- Master’s degree will be considered an advantage.
- A minimum of 7-8 years proven working experience as an IT manager.
- Proven practical experience in CCNA.
- Holder of qualifications such as ITIL, CEH, MCSA, CISM will be considered an advantage.
- Project management certificate (e.g. PRINCE2) will be considered an advantage.
- Experience in design and implementation of cluster-HPC systems will be considered an advantage.
- Experience of Linux Management.
- Deep understanding of open-source frameworks and protocols from databases, networking, high-performance computing, data storage and intranet.
- Excellent knowledge of technical management, information analysis and of computer hardware/software systems.
- Experience with cloud computing monitoring, scheduling and management systems.
- Expertise in data centre management, data security and data governance.
- Hands-on experience with computer networks, network administration and network installation.
- Language requirements; fluent in English and Greek (written and spoken).
Profile of the ideal candidate – select relevant qualities required for specific role:
- Dynamic, adaptable, hands-on and results driven.
- A team player with an ability to work independently and under pressure.
- High levels of commitment, energy and drive.
- Very good communication and interpersonal skills.
- For non-EU applicants a work permit will required.
Take advantage of this opportunity for your professional and personal development by being a part of our fast- growing Research Technology Development and Innovation Centre of Excellence. A very attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate according to qualifications and experience.
Application process For full consideration, interested applicants should submit the following items via the online application form and mention the position you are applying for: “Application for IT Manager”:
- Full CV (including contact details).
- Cover letter which clearly states: (a) how you envision your role, (b) how your experience and qualifications match the specific position, and (c) the availability date for full-time employment (d) contact details of two referees.
In case you previously applied for a post at CYENS CoE, a new application is required.
For general enquiries, applicants may contact the HR Department of CYENS, Centre of Excellence at email@example.com .
CYENS Centre of Excellence is an equal opportunity employer and the position is open to everyone, internationally.
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.
Deadline: 31 July. 2021
Location: Nicosia, Cyprus.
Type: Full-time employment. Open-term contract.