Preferred Start Date: DATE or as soon thereafter.
Application Deadline: Remain open until the positions are filled (relevant to Research Associates)
CYENS Centre of Excellence (formerly known as RISE) is the Research Centre of Excellence in Cyprus focusing on Interactive media, Smart systems and Emerging technologies aiming to empower knowledge and technology transfer in the region. It is a joint venture between the three public universities of Cyprus - University of Cyprus, Cyprus University of Technology, and, Open University of Cyprus- , the Municipality of Nicosia, and two renowned international partners, the Max Planck Institute for Informatics, Germany, and, the University College London, United Kingdom. This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme H2020-WIDESPREAD-01-2016-2017 (Teaming Phase 2) under grant agreement No. 739578, as well as from the Cypriot Government, local and international partners, and other sponsors.
The Centre conducts excellent, internationally competitive scientific research in the areas of visual sciences, human factors and design, communication, and artificial intelligence delivered by high-calibre multidisciplinary research teams. CYENS engages in knowledge transfer and innovation activities aiming to bridge the gap between scientific research and STEM-led innovation and entrepreneurship.
The research focus of CYENS is on interactive media, smart systems, and emerging technologies. Interactive media have become an integral part of our lives, changing the way that information is conveyed to the user and the ways users interact with devices, with other people, and with the world around them. Smart systems have offered a novel way of producing automated solutions to hard problems for which the mere use of the human intellect is insufficient. Research in CYENS integrates the Visual Sciences, Human Factors & Design, and Communications & Artificial Intelligence, in a tight synergy that provides a unique interdisciplinary research perspective that emphasizes an “Inspired by Humans, Designed for Humans” philosophy. CYENS is designed to act as an integrator of academic research and industrial innovation, towards the sustainable fuelling of the scientific, technological, and economic growth of Cyprus and Europe.
The Extended Experiences (EX) MRG focuses on virtual and augmented environments as well as human-machine interactions generated by computer technology and wearables. Advanced extended reality combines human senses, and it requires new strategies for the design and implementation of novel applications and systems. The goal of this MRG is to focus on three related broad areas including: (a) extended reality, (b) advanced interaction and (c) physiological interfaces.
Responsibilities of Research Associate:
The successful candidates will have the opportunity to conduct applied research in the aforementioned areas, towards the development of extended experience solutions. Indicatively, the MRG is looking for candidates who can design and develop robust, interactive virtual and augmented reality technologies for different application domains (i.e. cultural heritage, navigation, education, smart cities, health, etc. Individuals with research / innovation experience in relevant application domains, in addition to knowledge of key virtual and augmented reality technologies as well as computer graphics, are particularly encouraged to apply.
Position holders are expected to publish/present their research results in prestigious international conferences and journals and contribute to the Center’s key performance indicators by participating in the preparation of research and innovation proposals, in the preparation of project reports and deliverables, and in dissemination activities.
The successful candidate will work under the supervision of the Extended Experiences (EX) MRG Leader, Dr. Fotis Liarokapis.
General qualifications and requirements
- M.Sc. / Ph.D. from an accredited university in Computer Graphics, Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Neuroscience, Human-Computer Interaction, or a related area. (Candidates with other backgrounds but with an otherwise solid profile may also be considered.)
- Ability to independently identify problems and carry out research work within the scope of the MRG.
- Ability to interact with stakeholders in application domains and identify opportunities for collaboration.
- Excellent programming skills (e.g., C, C++, C#, Python, Java), mathematical maturity, and ability to learn quickly.
- Computer games development skills for Unity / Unreal are considered an advantage.
- Mobile application development skills for Android / iOS are considered an advantage.
- Previous research experience and high impact research publications will be considered an advantage.
- Previous relevant industrial / innovation / entrepreneurship experience and interest will be considered an advantage.
- Previous grant-writing experience will be considered an advantage.
- Language requirements: Very good knowledge of English, especially in reading technical / research articles.
For non-EU applicants a work permit will be required
Take advantage of this opportunity for your professional and personal development by being a part of our fast- growing Research and Innovation Centre of Excellence. A very attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate according to qualifications and experience.
For full consideration, interested applicants should submit the following items via the online application form and mention the position you are applying for: “Application for Research Associate: Extended Experiences (EX)”:
- A cover letter which clearly specifies 1) contact details, 2) employment availability date, 3) part-time or full-time availability, and 4) MRG(s) of interest in order of priority
- A detailed curriculum vitae in English.
- Copies of academic transcripts
- Description of their academic and research experiences as well as any relevant industrial / innovation / entrepreneurship experience, where applicable (500 words maximum).
- Contact details of two University professors or one University professor and one industry referee who will provide the letters.
- Two (2) representative publications (if applicable).
- Two (2) representative innovation outcomes / products (if applicable).
In case you previously applied for a post at CYENS CoE, a new application is required.
For general enquiries, applicants may contact the HR Department of CYENS, Centre of Excellence at firstname.lastname@example.org
CYENS Centre of Excellence is an equal opportunity employer and the position is open to everyone, internationally.
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.
Location: Nicosia, Cyprus
Type: An initial one-year employment contract will be offered with the possibility for renewal depending on performance and project needs.