Position: Research Associate in Computer Graphics and/or Computer Animation
Category: An initial one-year employment contract will be offered with the possibility for renewal based on performance.
Location: Nicosia, Cyprus
Preferred Start Date: April 2023 or as soon thereafter.
Application Deadline: Remain open until the positions are filled.
No. Of Positions: Two positions at the level of Research Associate
Salary Range: €28,000 - €38,000 (depends on the applicant qualifications)
About the position
Requirements for the Research Associate position:
Applications are invited from candidates who possess the necessary qualifications to fill two (2) full-time research associate positions at the CYENS Centre of Excellence, to investigate in the field of "Computer Graphics and Character Animation".
The CYENS CoE is focusing on multidisciplinary research in the greater area of interactive media and smart systems. It is a joint venture between the three public universities of Cyprus (University of Cyprus, Cyprus University of Technology, and Open University of Cyprus), the Max Planck Institute for Informatics, Germany, and University College London, United Kingdom, hosted by the Municipality of Nicosia. The Centre was set-up with seed funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme H2020-WIDESPREAD-01-2016-2017 (Teaming Phase 2) under grant agreement No. 739578.
The successful candidates will have the opportunity to conduct research in the areas of computer animation, extended reality, and artificial intelligence with applications in dancing, theatre, pain management, sports, movies, games, and collaborative creativity. They will work with a very active team of researchers, including Dr. Andreas Aristidou, Dr. Panayiotis Charalambous (V-EUPNEA MRG
) and Dr. Yiorgos Chrysanthou (RIPE MRG
), investigating modern trends and techniques in Computer Animation, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and Extended Reality.
Position holders are expected to conduct experimental research on computer graphics/character animation/extended reality, to collect and analyze experimental results, to conduct bibliographical review of the current literature, to publish/present their research results in prestigious international conferences and journals, and potentially to participate in the preparation of research and innovation proposals. We welcome applications from talented and motivated individuals with backgrounds in related fields such as Physics, Mathematics, Engineering, Robotics and Computer Science
- MA/MSc/MEng with at least 3 years of experience or PhD holder in a relevant field (e.g., Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning) from an accredited institution.
- Strong algorithmic background and computer programming skills (e.g., C/C++/Java/C#, Python, Matlab) are a must.
- High-impact research publications on relevant topics (Computer Graphics, Machine Learning, Robotics, VR/AR/XR)
- Knowledge of Artificial Intelligence, including Machine Learning and Deep Learning including the usage of relevant environments (e.g., Keras, Tensorflow, Pytorch, scikit-learn) will be considered an advantage.
- Previous grant-writing experience will be considered an advantage.
- Language requirements: Excellent written and oral English-language skills will be required.
- Interest to take a leading role by contributing to the direction of the project and co-supervising students.
For non-EU applicants a work permit will be required
Profile of the ideal candidate:
- A team player.
- Willing to learn.
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Strong organizational, communication, presentation, and negotiation skills, having the ability to deal confidently and politely with enquiries.
- Very good analytical skills coupled with attention to detail.
- Dynamic, adaptable, hands-on and results driven.
- High levels of commitment, energy, and drive.
Take advantage of this opportunity for your professional and personal development by being a part of our fast- growing Research and Innovation Centre of Excellence. A very attractive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates according to their qualifications and experience, that it ranges between €28,000 - €38,000 for Research Associates. From this amount all legal employee contributions will be deducted.
For full consideration, interested applicants should submit the following items via the online application form for: “Application for Research Associate in Computer Graphics and/or Computer Animation”
Process for Research Associates:
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- A cover letter which clearly specifies 1) contact details, 2) employment availability date, 3) part-time or full-time availability
- A detailed curriculum vitae in English.
- Copies of academic transcripts
- Description of their academic and research experiences as well as any relevant industrial / innovation / entrepreneurship experience, where applicable (500 words maximum).
- Contact details of two University professors or one University professor and one industry referee who will provide the letters.
- Two (2) representative publications (if applicable).
- Two (2) representative innovation outcomes / products (if applicable).
- A portfolio of projects (if applicable).
- Personal website and/or Github page (if applicable).
About CYENS CoE
In case you previously applied for a post at CYENS CoE, a new application is required.
For general enquiries, applicants may contact the HR Department of CYENS, Centre of Excellence at firstname.lastname@example.org
The applicants may address any technical or research related inquiries to the lead researchers Andreas Aristidou (email@example.com
) and/or Panayiotis Charalambous (firstname.lastname@example.org
CYENS Centre of Excellence is focusing on Interactive media, Smart systems and Emerging technologies aiming to empower knowledge and technology transfer in Cyprus and wider region. It is a joint venture between the three public universities of Cyprus: the University of Cyprus, the Cyprus University of Technology, and the Open University of Cyprus, the Municipality of Nicosia, and two renowned international partners, the Max Planck Institute for Informatics, Germany, and, the University College London, United Kingdom. This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme H2020-WIDESPREAD-01-2016-2017 (Teaming Phase 2) under grant agreement No. 739578, as well as from the Cypriot Government, local and international partners, and other sponsors.
Research in CYENS integrates the Visual Sciences, Human Factors & Design, and Communications & Artificial Intelligence, in a tight synergy that provides a unique interdisciplinary research perspective that emphasizes an “Inspired by Humans, Designed for Humans” philosophy. The Centre conducts excellent, internationally competitive scientific research delivered by 18 high-caliber multidisciplinary research teams. CYENS engages in knowledge transfer and innovation activities aiming to act as an integrator of academic research and industrial innovation, towards the sustainable fueling of the scientific, technological, and economic growth of Cyprus and Europe.
CYENS Centre of Excellence is an equal opportunity employer and the position is open to everyone, internationally.
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.
Location: Nicosia, Cyprus
Type: An initial one-year employment contract will be offered with the possibility for renewal based on performance.