CYENS (formerly known as RISE) is a research centre of excellence in Nicosia, Cyprus. CYENS CoE is a significant investment supported by the European Commission, the Republic of Cyprus and its founding Partners, the Municipality of Nicosia, Max Planck Institute, University College London, the University of Cyprus, the Cyprus University of Technology and the Open University of Cyprus. This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme H2020-WIDESPREAD-01-2016-2017 (Teaming Phase 2) under grant agreement No. 739578, as well as from the Cypriot Government, local and international partners, and other sponsors.
The Centre conducts excellent, internationally competitive scientific research in the areas of visual sciences, human factors and design, communication, and artificial intelligence delivered by high-calibre multidisciplinary research teams. CYENS engages in knowledge transfer and innovation activities aiming to bridge the gap between scientific research and STEM-led innovation and entrepreneurship.
The research focus of CYENS is on interactive media, smart systems, and emerging technologies. Interactive media have become an integral part of our lives, changing the way that information is conveyed to the user and the ways users interact with devices, with other people, and with the world around them. Smart systems have offered a novel way of producing automated solutions to hard problems for which the mere use of the human intellect is insufficient. Research in CYENS integrates the Visual Sciences, Human Factors & Design, and Communications & Artificial Intelligence, in a tight synergy that provides a unique interdisciplinary research perspective that emphasizes an “Inspired by Humans, Designed for Humans” philosophy. CYENS is designed to act as an integrator of academic research and industrial innovation, towards the sustainable fuelling of the scientific, technological, and economic growth of Cyprus and Europe.
The Real-time Populated Virtual Environments (RTPVE) Research Group conducts research in the general area of real-time graphics. Some specific topics of interest include: human animation, motion capture, character behavior, AR rendering and 3D reconstruction.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to conduct applied research in the aforementioned areas. The position holder will also participate in the preparation of research proposals for funding, project reports and deliverables, and travel abroad for dissemination activities. Furthermore, position holders should publish/present their research results in prestigious international conferences and journals and contribute to the research centre’s key performance indicators. The successful candidate will work under the supervision of Prof Yiorgos Chrysanthou.
- Bachelor's degree and/or postgraduate degree in a relevant field (e.g. Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics)
- Strong computer programming skills (e.g. C/C++, Pyhton, Matlab) is a must
- Knowledge of Deep-learning and usage of one of the existing Deep-learning environments (e.g. Keras, Tensorflow, Pytorch etc.) would be an advantage
- High-impact research publications on relevant topics (a must for PhD holders/an advantage for non-PhD holders)
- Previous grant-writing experience is considered an advantage
- Previous relevant industrial experience will be considered an advantage
- Excellent knowledge of English language is a must
- For non-EU applicants a work permit will be required.
A very attractive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidate according to qualifications and experience.
For full consideration, interested applicants should submit the following items via the online application form
and mention the position you are applying for: "Research Associate(s) RTPVE"
1. A cover letter which clearly specifies (i) employment availability date, (ii) part-time and/or full-time availability and (iii) rationale on why you think you would be a good fit for the position
2. Description of their academic and research experiences as well as any relevant industrial experience where applicable (500 words maximum)
3. A detailed CV
4. Copies of degree certificates (BSc/MSc/PhD)
5. Two representative publications (if applicable)
6. Contact details of two referees, either two University professors or one University professor and one industry referee.
Note that if you previously applied for a post at RISE, a new application is required.
Deadline: Position open until filled.
For general inquiries, applicants may contact the HR Department of the Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart Systems and Emerging Technologies at firstname.lastname@example.org
The applicants may address any technical or research related inquiries to the RTPVE MRG team leader Prof. Yiorgos Chrysanthou at email@example.com
Deadline: 01 January. 2022
Location: Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart Systems and Emerging Technologies, Nicosia, Cyprus
Type: An initial one-year employment contract will be offered with the possibility for renewal (up to three years in total, including the first year).