The objective of the AtheroRisk project is to develop an integrated intelligent software system for the identification of the Risk of Ipsilateral Stroke/ Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA) events from carotid plaques. The system will develop novel Artificial Intelligence algorithms and will facilitate new techniques for ultrasound images and video motion analysis. The system will be applied on asymptomatic patients with moderate to severe artery stenosis.
The potential of the combined methods in stratifying the risk of ipsilateral stroke/TIA in patients with asymptomatic carotid stenosis has been investigated and imply that at least 65% of patients currently undergoing Carotid Endarterectomy (CAE) do not require the procedure.
CEA should be recommended in only 20% of the population at high risk.
We expect that the developed software system (used blindly) should be able to identify a subgroup (or subgroups) of patients with a high prevalence of symptomatic plaques and such a subgroup should contain the patients at high risk.
The project is supported by the Cyprus Research and Innovation Foundation Through the Excellence Hubs Program
This is a two-year project that started on the 1st of March 2022 and ending on the 29th of February 2024.
The total budget of the project is €255,850 and the Consortium consists of 7 partners (5 local partners and 2 Foreign research Organizations):
1. Cyprus University of Technology, Cyprus (Project Leader)
2. CYENS Centre of Excellence, Cyprus (VIDEOMICS and HealthXR MRGs)
3. Frederick Research Center, Cyprus
4. Vascular Screening and Diagnostic Center, Cyprus
5. Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics, Cyprus
6. Cardiovascular Research Trust, UK
7. Department of Medicine, University of Athens, Greece